- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
Saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons butter in a large sauce pan until tender.
Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended.
Add milk gradually and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Remove from the heat and add mayonnaise until smooth.
Add chicken, rice, celery, peas, pimientos, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
Melt remaining butter and toss with cornflakes. Sprinkle over top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Potluck Chicken Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p37
Photo and recipe source