The Captain and I have been into comfort food since we have been a bit under the weather. As I was checking out Sandra Lee's website since I was looking for something quick and easy to cook, this semi-homemade potato casserole jumped out at me.
What I really like is the addition of onion soup mix for flavor. I've used it in dips and slow cooking meat with great results.
As usual, I would use the recipe as a guide since I don't usually like frozen potato products (except for tater tots) and I would use real bacon. Of course, the convenience foods are what make it semi-homemade, but I'd rather make it more economical and tasty.
Start to Finish: 35 minutes
Cook: 6 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray, Pam®
- 1 bag (24-ounce) frozen cut red potatoes, Ore-Ida® Steam n’ Mash®
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk, Carnation®
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix, Lipton®
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 11⁄2 cups shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend, Sargento®
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped onions, Ore-Ida®
- 1⁄4 cup real bacon pieces, Hormel®
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Dash ground nutmeg, McCormick®
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup bread crumbs, Progresso®
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, McCormick®
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Lightly spray a 11⁄2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
Microwave potatoes according to package directions. In a bowl, mash half the potatoes with the milk, soup mix, and 1 tablespoon of the butter.
Spread mashed potatoes evenly into prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle 1⁄2 cup of the cheese, half the onions, and half the bacon on the mashed potatoes.
Add half the remaining unmashed potatoes to the dish in an even layer. Repeat layering cheese, onions, and bacon. Top with remaining unmashed potatoes.
In a small saucepan, heat the cream, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste over medium heat to just under a boil; pour over potatoes.
Sprinkle remaining 1⁄2 cup of cheese on top. In a small bowl, stir together bread crumbs and paprika.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter; stir into the bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of casserole.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbling and browned.