Quick and easy, semi-homemade chicken
empanadas from Mr. Food!
The recipe calls for purchased dry fajita
seasoning, but I have included a homemade
version listed after the empanada recipe
as an alternative.
Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated rolled pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons dry fajita seasoning (see below for homemade seasoning)
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 1 pie crust flat on a 14-inch pizza pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, corn, and fajita seasoning; remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture onto pie crust, leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Sprinkle cheese evenly over chicken mixture and brush edge of crust with egg. Place second pie crust flat over filling. Fold and press edges together. Using a fork, crimp to seal edge.
- Brush top with egg.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Source: Mr. Food
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. sugar
2-1/2 tsp. crushed chicken bouillon cube
1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cumin
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour into small glass or plastic container, seal tightly and store in a cool, dry place. Makes the equivalent of 3 packets of commercial or purchased Fajita Seasoning Mix.