- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken.
Seal bag and coat the chicken; set aside.
Saute the mushrooms, onion and jalapeno in 2 teaspoons butter until tender in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Remove and keep warm.
Drain and discard marinade.
Place drained chicken in remaining butter in the same skillet. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
Spoon vegetable mixture over chicken breasts. Sprinkle with cheeses.
Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 2 servings.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Fiesta Smothered Chicken
in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p28