Macaroni salad can be a main meal as far as I'm concerned!
I've always had mayonnaise based macaroni salad and this one has an oil and vinegar dressing that sounds interesting to me. I also love the addition of olives, mozzarella and tomatoes.
I'm thinking if I don't like the oil and vinegar dressing, it would most likely taste awesome with the addition of mayonnaise.
- 1/2 pound fusilli (spirals) pasta
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, medium-diced
- 3/4 cup kalamata, pitted sliced in quarters length wise
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, medium-diced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
For the dressing:
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, julienned
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. Boil for 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain well and allow to cool. Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
For the dressing, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic,
capers, salt, and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.
Pour the dressing over the pasta, toss. Toss with Parmesan and basil just before serving.