This is one of those recipes that can be varied in so many ways, depending on what you have on hand or what you like. Of course the one ingredient that I find missing from the recipe is hot peppers and I will definitely add them when I try it out. How about some mushrooms?
The first thing that came to mind when I found this recipe is to try it out as something different for one of my favorite meals . . . Chicken Parmesan. Change the cheese to mozzarella and you're good to go!
I'm going to have fun varying the ingredients with this recipe :)
- 6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and black pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Stir together sundried tomatoes, cream cheese, and pesto. Spread cheese mixture evenly over chicken breasts. Roll up jellyroll fashion; secure with wooden toothpicks.
- In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika. Dredge chicken in bread crumb mixture. Place in a lightly greased 7- x 11-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 26 to 28 minutes; let stand 5 minutes. Remove toothpicks, and slice each roll into 6 rounds.
Source: Mr. Food