Bread is one of the greatest wonders of the world! There is nothing like the making of fresh bread from working the dough to the smell of baking bread. I'm always looking for awesome bread recipes that can be used as appetizers or snacks.
My imagination is going wild with ideas for variations to this recipe . . . but that's a future post.
Imagine a loaf of bread, assembled similar to a cinnamon bun, loaded with pepperoni and cheese or whatever filling you decide on.
I love that this bread can be made ahead and frozen for a future party . . . or make two at a time and put one away for a lazy day.
This recipe comes from my filing cabinet full of recipes and I have no idea where it came from!
3 ¼ cups flour
1 package (¾ tablespoon) yeast
¾ tablespoons salt
½ tablespoon sugar
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 oz. shredded cheese, your favorite
½ tablespoon water
• Mix flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in large bowl; stir until combined.
• Add warm water and olive oil; stir until dough forms.
• Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature for 2 hours.
• Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours.
• Roll dough out into rectangle on floured surface. Let rest.
• Spread cheese evenly over dough. Top with pepperoni.
• Roll dough tightly and fold edges inward and pinch.
• Let rest for 40 minutes, covered in plastic wrap.
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• Whisk together egg and water, coat loaf with egg wash. (I use a smallish paint brush that is just used for baking.) Sprinkle with garlic salt.
• Bake bread for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm.
• Remove from oven, cool on wire rack, then slice.